We didn’t have a baby shower when I was pregnant; this tradition is not very big in Belgium and I didn’t really feel like it.
It is more custom to make a Gift Wish List for the birth of your child.
Little did we know about getting a GWL let along about baby stuff 😉 , so we did some research on what we needed.
Our baby room is monochrome and we do not like different bright colors everywhere. It was hard to find a store who had the stuff we needed in our color scheme (black, white or maybe grey), we finally picked a store that was quite central for our family and friends and had stuff that was ‘–isch’ to our taste.
Here’s a few tips, keep them in the back of your mind if you’re going to have a GWL somewhere. This is what worked for us, everyone has his or her own habits so do not obsess about our list.
- Start early with your research and choosing a shop or online shop for your wish list. Most shops require to register 6 months before your due date.
- Make a list of baby essentials you need by category.
Baby on the go: stroller, baby carrier, umbrella, rain cover, baby bag, stroller bag for baby, etc…
Baby in the car: car seat, isofix, baby bag for car seat, summer cover, blanket, ear protectors, UV sleep/play tent, UV wetsuit, sunhat, etc.
Baby protection: baby phone or videophone, door or stair fence, etc.
Baby sleeps: crib, bed or bedside crib, baby changing table, room deco, matrass, sheets, nightlight, storage modules, travel bed (we use the UV-tent works perfect), sleeping bag, baby box, baby box matrass, baby box blanket, etc.
Baby care: bath, bathrobe or bath cape, bad thermometer, changing matrass and cover, soft hair brush, fever thermometer, nappy bin and refill bags, manicure set, nose cleaner, potty, tooth care, washcloths, tetra cloths, baby care set (lotion, wash lotion, shampoo, diaper crème,…)
Baby feeding: feeding spoons, teething ring, food containers, travel footd containers, powder milk travel container, feeding chair, bottle heater, pacifier, blanket, bibs, snack bags, sterilizer, steamer mixer, bumbo and bumbo tablet, baby bottles (buy big ones), bottle cleaning brush
Baby plays: bath toys, crib hanger, cuddle cloth or doudou, push chair or rocking chair, walker, baby mobile, musical pull toy, baby bouncer or relax, do not put toys on it, you will automatically get toys as a gift) , play carpet, etc.
Baby clothes: It is better that you buy the essentials and not put them on your wish list. You can put some cute sunglasses, swimwear, footwear or accessories on it. Read more about baby clothes essential in our other post on the blog here.
- Ask around friends and family what baby stuff they have that you can have or borrow. Pick out what you like or what you can (with permission) customize to your taste.
- Pick a shop for your baby gift wish list that match your needs or taste.
- Check the small letters on the contract. Some of the shops have a buying policy for all textiles products.
- Ask the shop what you get in return for putting your list in their hands. Most list go from 2500€ up to 5000€. So this is a win-win for both parties. Get at least 10% of the amount of the sold items of your list in gift voucher.
- Check your list from time to time to adjust.
- Put the link to your wish list on your birth card, so people can easily find it.
- Buy the most essential things before your baby gets home: bed, sheets, changing table, products, nappy bin, changing matrass, pacifier, bottles, sterilizer, bottle warmer
Happy searching and enjoy these first precious moments with your baby and new little family!